UH EE Newsletter
Aloha Alumni and Friends!
This is the first issue of a semi-annual newsletter about your department. Through this newsletter, we hope to keep you informed about our recent and exciting news.
Mahalo for all your support!
Associate Professor and Chair
UH EE News Highlights
- Professor Marc Fossorier received the prestigious IEEE Fellow award for contributions to coding and decoding methods.
- Professor Anders Host-Madsen was promoted to Associate Professor with tenure in July 2005.
- Professor Diego Barrettino joined the department as an Assistant Professor in August 2005. He specializes in analog and mixed-signal IC design, control architectures for integrated microsystems, microsensors, MEMS, bioelectronics and systems biology.
- Mr. Blaine Murakami received the 2005 Alton B. Zerby and Mr. Carl T. Koerner Outstanding Electrical and Computer Engineering Student Award by Eta Kappa Nu, the national electrical engineering honor society. See a newspaper story about him:
- Mr. Steven Lee and Mr. Blaine Murakami were co-recipients of the Outstanding Graduating Senior in Electrical Engineering in Spring 2005.
- Mr. Justin Akagi and Mr. Joseph Cardenas were co-recipients of the Outstanding Graduating Senior in Electrical Engineering in Fall 2005.
Mahalo to Friends and Alumni
- A substantial start-up package was provided to successfully recruit Professor Barrettino. The package was made possible in part by the generous donations of friends and alumni via UH Foundation.
- Funds from the 2004 College of Engineering Banquet were used to purchase 10 digital oscilloscopes for the microelectronic circuits laboratory (EE 323L and EE 326L), and 12 PCs for the basic circuits laboratory (EE 211 and 213). Funds from the 2005 College of Engineering Banquet will be used to upgrade the computer circuits laboratory (EE 260 and EE 361L).
- Lockheed Martin Orincon (LMO) generously provided a graduate scholarship for the academic year 2005-2006. Mr. Xiaojiang Liu is the recipient of the Scholarship for the Academic Year 2005-06.
- Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC) generously provided a graduate scholarship for the academic year 20 05-2006. Ms. Ye Wang is the recipient of the Scholarship for the Academic Year 2005-06.
- EE Seminars that were sponsored by the department's UH Foundation donation fund
- Dr. Kien Hua (University of Central Floriday), Video Delivery Technologies for Large-Scale Development of Multimedia Applications, August 2005.
- Dr. Aleksandar Kovcac (Harvard University), Feedforward and Feedback Capacities of Finite State Machine Channels, October 2005.
- Dr. Ken Zeger (UCSD), Network Coding Reversibility, December 2005.
- Dr. Phil Whiting (Bell Labs), Occupancy Models and Circuit Switched Networks with Blocking, January 2006.